Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Positive Life - Synaesthetic

A Positive Life - Synaesthetic (Waveform Records, 1995) (320)

I wish this dude put out more stuff, because this is a killer release. Sure, it has a bit of a trance feel, but it's really well done. And not in a Tiesto type of way. Just check it if you appreciated this.  

Review found on Amazon:
This is one of my all time favorite CDs. Why, you ask? Because I think it is the perfection of a music form. The CD is thematic, taking you on a journey that begins at an earthbound 5 o'clock in the morning and returns you after a midnight trek exploring the wonders of the universe. I noticed that many reviews had trouble describing the music form. It was introduced to me as Ambient Dub, which I think describes it to a tee. It is definitely in the Ambient realm, but the bassline is superb and sublime, hence the Dub. Like all great things, this CD takes a few revisits before it is fully appreciated.

Check it (email me)

2 comments:

  1. This CD release represents the ultimate technological audio experience!!! Where Larry Fast's SYNERGY project should have went. Find this recording and let it overwhelm you, as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew Stefan and Patrick from APL and put on their first gig with Higher Intelligence Agency at a club event I used to run in Bradford, England called "The House Of Maya" back in 1993!
    The 12 Inch of The Calling is well worth getting, especially for the HIA remix.

    An interesting factoid; the whirring sound on The Calling track was made with a childs toy which was basically a ribbed plastic tube that you spun around and the air intake made a weird sound, this was miked up and sampled. Then! Enigma (of chanting monk ambient fame) heard it and paid them 5000 pounds to use the sample! If only they had known.

    Its interesting how this album stands the test of time far better than a lot of straight house/techno/acid of the time, maybe if they had formed now there would be a far wider audience receptive to this music; the curse of being sonic pioneers I guess.

    ReplyDelete