Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Various - Mas Confusion


Various - Mas Confusion (Promo) (Studio !K7, !K7137 PROMO CD, 2002) (320)

This isn't a really a fully promo-only release, it's just the one I have... which isn't super-special or any extra tracks, it's just the one I found in a used-bin for a few bucks, and well, really, it was a no-brainer buy.  I didn't realize fully what I had until I got home... there are some insanely good tracks here.  Let's start from the beginning, that Metamatics track (of which I intend to post pretty much everything Norris ever put out, on this blog) is very strong.  Followed by an absurdly good Lusine-related track, which I should post his cds I have.  I'm sorta new to Stars As Eyes, but now that I'm thinking about it while listening, I need to investigate more.  Xela should be no stranger to you, and if it is... check out "For Frosty Mornings And Summer Nights" or maybe "Tangled Wood", cuz that is the era of this stuff.  If you check out later Xela stuff (which I dig), he has gone a bit darkerish and deeper.  That said, his label (Type) is phenomenal.  Next track, Autophonic.  I'm not familiar with this dude/dudette, but it's an alright track.  Fits the mold, not bad though.  Adam Johnson has a couple tracks here, which are pretty good.  I'd like to post his Merck album here if there is time. It is gold, as shown here.  The mighty Funckarma weigh in with a killer track that could just keep going... it doesn't need to stop...  their sound is so mesmerizing to me, much like early AE.  Quench, which is of course the side-ish of the Funcken boys (Funckarma), among others, puts forward a quality track that fits VERY well with its surroundings.  I'm not familiar with Tomato Weirdo at all, but the track is alright, and glancing at discogs, it doesn't appear the peeps involved did too much for some reason.  Second to the last track is by Michael Fakesch, which is half of Funkstörung, whom I saw at a tiny club in Seattle probably ten or twelve years ago, they were pretty good... I had a fun time.  The track here is more minimal... it might have fit more on that Night Owls 02 comp more.  Dunno, sounds good now.  And it ends with Mr. Projectile, who has a killer Merck comp that I will be posting at some point.  His track here is very good and I really like the vibe he is doing.  Very slightly reminds me of Proem, but that might be because I've been listening to him a bunch today.  Either way, high praise.   Same with this compilation.  Very strong.  It's gonna be in my car for a while.  Sounds so good right now.  You should check it out.

01 Metamatics – Giant Sunflowers Swaying In The Wind
02 Lusine Icl – Risa
03 Stars As Eyes – Black Achievement
04 Xela – Streetlevel
05 Autophonic – Mind The Dot
06 Adam Johnson – Anex
07 Funckarma – Kobalt
08 Adam Johnson – Baquelch
09 Quench – Zane
10 Tomato Weirdo – La Salle De Bain
11 Michael Fakesch – We Got A Generator
12 Mr. Projectile – Less Math More Music

Review (do you need more recommendations than my drivel??? I guess so!) and this is a pretty quality, but brief summation and comparison of, although I sadly have none of the skampler comps... I relate to the sentiment:
I would say that this is as seminal as Skam's 'Skampler' comp. I've gone on to buy records by every single artist on it without exception. In some cases these are the best tracks i've heard by the artists.

This release also got me into several other labels (merck, onrecords, etc).

You really should buy this release if you have any interest in electronic music.

Info here

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I saw this and I just HAD to drop a comment. THANK YOU SO MUCH. My favorites have to be the tracks from Metamatics, Xela, Tomato Weirdo (Kadah/Vresky), and Mr. Projectile. Really great stuff.

    Also do you still plan on uploading some of Norris' work? It's really difficult to find Metamatics/Norken/Nacht Plank on the net. Also do you know where I can find this: http://www.discogs.com/KadahVresky-presents-Tomato-Weirdo-Best-Before-End-Toujours-Comestible/master/56209 ?

    ReplyDelete